Nelson County has a Local Composite Index of .5356, which requires the County to provide greater local funding to its School Division than most localities in Virginia. The LCI was established for the state to provide 55% in funding for local school divisions with localities having a 45% responsibility. Prior to 2016-17, Nelson County’s LCI was close to 60%.
- Most recent Virginia Department of Education Reports ranks Nelson County as 13th among 98 Virginia Counties for Highest Average Teacher Salaries
- Nelson County was ranked #4 of 98 Counties for highest first year teacher compensation by most recent Virginia Department of Education Report (higher than Albemarle County and Charlottesville
- Nelson County was ranked #26 of 98 Counties for highest Average Instructional Personnel compensation by most recent VA-DOE report.
- For the recently completed Fiscal Year (June 30, 2019) Nelson County was required to provide $6,984,077 in local funding to match total state funding of $9,137,028 but the Board of Supervisors provided $15,027,129 in local funding and when debt costs are included the County funded $17,129,372 for total School Division related costs.
- For the current Fiscal Year which began on July 1, 2019, Nelson County is required to provide $6,838,196 in local funding to match state funding of $9,263,196 but the Board of Supervisors approved total local funding of $15,954,735 and when debts costs are included County funding to the School Division is $17,735,442.
- Nelson County’s most recent Teacher to Pupil Ratios were 1 to 12.23 for elementary schools and 1 to 11.51 for secondary schools (both much below state standards)
- Nelson County’s total Per Pupil Costs with local funding, including debt and capital funding is $10,629 per pupil, which is among the highest in the state.
- Nelson County’s total Per Pupil Costs, including state, federal, debt and capital funding is $17,276 per pupil, which is also among the highest in the state.
- The amount of total local funding to the School Division, including debt and capital costs, for the current Fiscal Year is $17,735,442 which is 56% of total local revenues of $31,786,024.
Authorized and Paid for by
Saunders for Supervisor
P. O. Box 394, Lovingston, VA 22949