During My Tenure on the Board:
Board of Supervisors: Appointed 2012, Elected Vice Chair 2014, Elected Chair 2015
I currently serve on the Board of Supervisors and Chair the Nelson County Broadband Authority.
Projects I Have Supported:
- Blue Ridge Tunnel Project – Will be completed in June 2020
- Broadband – Working towards universal access in Nelson County (including local network transfer to CVEC/Central VA Services, Inc. which will assist with providing access to broadband/internet services to approximately 80% of businesses and residences in Nelson County)
- Courthouse Projects (Phase 1 and Phase 2) – Worked to expand and renovate/modernize Nelson County Courthouse including restoring historic Circuit Courtroom and providing courts and offices for all three Courts that serve the County, meeting all court standards
- Nelson Memorial Library Expansion – Will be completed in April 2020
- Fire and EMS Vehicle Program – Providing significant annual funding to support purchase of modern new fire and EMS vehicles for County agencies.
- Radio Communications Project – Funded Comprehensive Update of County’s Public Safety Radio Communications System (including E-911 Center) that has resulted in universal radio coverage in Nelson County
- Lovingston Revitalization Project – Grant Project to work towards Lovingston Revitalization
- Tye River and James River Scenic River Projects – Tye River has been designated VA Scenic River and work in in process to designate the entire section of the James River in Nelson County as a Scenic River (in process)
- Route 29 Corridor Study and Nelson 29 Initiatives – Initiatives to foster economic development in the Route 29 Corridor of Nelson County
- Sturt Park – Working to establish a new outdoor wilderness park in Nelson County
- Jefferson & Magistrate Buildings Restoration – Worked to restore the historic Jefferson Building and Magistrate Building at the County Courthouse (Jefferson Building serves as offices for Commonwealth Attorney)
- Gladstone Depot Project – Provided strong support for saving and restoring the Historic Gladstone Depot,etc.
- Budget and Financial – Have worked to maintain low tax rates while also insuring Nelson County is financially stable
- Nelson County continues to be recognized by the state as having low fiscal stress and has been ranked in the top ten and lower of VA localities with excellent financial management.
- Public Schools
- Nelson County has a Local Composite Index of .5356, which requires the County to provide greater local funding to its School Division than most localities in VA. The LCI was established for the state to provide 55% in funding for local school divisions with localities having a 45% responsibility. Prior to 2016-17, Nelson County’s LCI was close to 60%.
Nelson Planning Commission: Appointed in 2014, 2015
Piedmont Workforce Network Council: Appointed in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Authorized and Paid for by
Saunders for Supervisor
P. O. Box 394, Lovingston, VA 22949